The Texas State Genealogical Society (TxSGS) 2015 Family History Conference has both a great lineup of DNA lectures and a two-hour hands-on workshop for those who already have some basic knowledge.
Friday afternoon I will lead a two-hour intermediate level DNA workshop from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. The workshop will be repeated from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Each workshop requires registration and a fee above the conference registration. This genetic genealogy workshop is for researchers who are a step beyond the beginner level. DNA beginners may have difficulty with some concepts and tasks.
If you aren't already "a step beyond the beginner level" you can learn more in this workshop by studying before attending the workshop. A good place to start would be the following course and articles.
- "Using mitochondrial DNA for Genealogy." National Genealogical Society NGS Magazine 39 (October-December 2013): 26-30.
- "Using Y-DNA for Genealogy." National Genealogical Society NGS Magazine 40 (January-March 2014): 20-24.
- "Using autosomal DNA for Genealogy." National Genealogical Society NGS Magazine 40 (April-June 2014), 50-54.
- "Using X-DNA for Genealogy." National Genealogical Society NGS Magazine 40 (July-September 2014): 57-61.
- "First Look at Shared Genealogy of DNA Matches." National Genealogical Society NGS Magazine 40 (October-December 2014): 58-61.
- "Logging and Analyzing atDNA Matches." National Genealogical Society NGS Magazine 41 (January-March 2015): 58-61.
- Kelly Wheaton’s Beginner’s Guide to Genetic Genealogy at
- The other "Foundational Knowledge" links at http://debbiewayne.com/presentations/gatagacc_biblio.php.
DNA sessions in the regular conference schedule include:
- Saturday, 1 p.m., Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL, "GATA GACC! DNA and Genetic Genealogy Today"
- Saturday, 2:30 p.m., Diahan Southard, "What now? Your Next Steps With Autosomal DNA Testing"
- Saturday, 4:00 p.m., Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL, "Correlating atDNA with GenomeMate"
- Sunday, 1 p.m., Diahan Southard, "A Beginners Guide To Genetic Genealogy"
- Sunday, 2:30 p.m., Deena Coutant, "DNA Third-Party Tools And Databases"
- Sunday, 4:00 p.m. Diahan Southard, "An Outsiders Look Inside AncestryDNA"
In addition to the great DNA line-up, the alternating keynote speakers are the ever-popular J. Mark Lowe, CG, and Lisa Louise Cooke. Presenters on non-DNA topics include Susan Ball; Dr. Jose Barragan; Becky Broadbent; H. M. Christmas; Deena Coutant; Schelly Talalay Dardashti; Teri Flack; Sharon Gillins; Connie Gray; Sara Gredler; Colleen Greene; James Harkins (Texas General Land Office); Dr. Martha Everman Jones; Janice Lovelace; Bernard N. Meisner; Kelvin L. Meyers; Laurel Neuman; Paula Perkins; Cari Taplin, CG; Patricia G. Taylor; Randy Whited; Ari Wilkins; and Sharon Wolff.
Check out the conference page for more specifics on all the exciting activities and presentations and for registration information. TxSGS has organized this conference a little differently than in the past where one keynote speaker presented all day on Saturday. Be sure to check the schedule so you don't miss anything.
To cite this blog post:
Debbie Parker Wayne, "Hands-on DNA Workshop and Lectures at TxSGS Conference - 30 October to 1 November 2015," Deb's Delvings Blog, posted 27 September 2015 (http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/ : accessed [date]).
Certified Genealogist, CG, Certified Genealogical Lecturer, and CGL are proprietary service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists®, used under license by board certificants after periodic evaluations for genealogical competence.
© 2015, Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL, All Rights Reserved