25 October 2013

X-DNA Inheritance Charts


This post has been superceded by the updated documents and additional information in the Publications area of my website.



A few years ago The Genetic Genealogist Blaine Bettinger posted several versions of X‑DNA inheritance charts. Colored blocks on the charts indicate which ancestors might contribute segments to a person's X chromosome(s). The percentage of X‑DNA that each ancestor might contribute was shown in one of the later charts.1 Blaine explains X‑DNA inheritance in those posts as well as providing the charts.

I formatted this information into a Microsoft Word table so I can type the names of the ancestors of a person who has tested for use in X‑DNA analysis.


I don't like to use handwritten charts when I can create a printed version.

With Blaine's permission I have attached a Creative Commons license2 and am linking several different electronic formats of the documents for use in compliance with the Creative Commons license.

I hope these charts prove useful to the genetic genealogy community. If anyone has problems or sees errors in the charts please let me know so they can be corrected.


All URLs accessed 25 October 2013.

1. Blaine Bettinger, PhD, JD, "Unlocking the Genealogical Secrets of the X Chromosome," 21 December 2008, The Genetic Genealogist (http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2008/12/21/unlocking-the-genealogical-secrets-of-the-x-chromosome/). Blaine Bettinger, PhD, JD, "More X-Chromosome Charts," 12 January 2009, The Genetic Genealogist (http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2009/01/12/more-x-chromosome-charts/).
2. Creative Commons (http://creativecommons.org/).


To cite this blog post:
Debbie Parker Wayne, "X-DNA Inheritance Charts ," Deb's Delvings Blog, posted 25 October 2013 (http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/ : accessed [date]).

© 2013, Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL, All Rights Reserved

16 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/11/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-november-1.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie:

    I like to be able to have my ancestors names printed too, so thanks for making these charts available. I've tweaked your charts slightly and put Generations 1-3 running sideways with much slimmer columns, which allows the columns for Generations 4 through 7 to be wider, to accommodate the full names of my ancestors all on a single page. I've added Ahnentafel numbers too as superscripts). See http://www.genealogyjunkie.net/x-inheritance-charts.html.

    Sue Griffith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very useful modifications to the charts, Sue. I didn't see a link to download a copy of your modifications, but anyone can modify the copies I link to and incorporate your changes due to the Creative Commons license. I'm still trying to catch up from the Texas State GS conference and the Family Tree DNA conference, but can try to update my links when new versions of doc, pdf, etc. files have been created with your tweaks. Thanks for letting us know.

      Delete
  3. Hi Debbie:

    Templates with my tweaks are now available for download for Pedigree Charts and Male and Female X-DNA Inheritance Charts at http://www.genealogyjunkie.net/downloads.html. I'll aim to keep each of these as fixed links from a public Dropbox folder.

    Sue Griffith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, thanks. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirese, I'm glad these are useful and I love Sue's mods. A great thing about putting something out with a Creative Commons license allowing derivatives is that many people can improve on the original and share with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this vertical chart--much easier to understand and to use. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the vertical charts are useful to others besides myself, Kay. The fan charts are pretty, but I find them harder to read and use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for these charts! Really helps me grasp the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very useful and well-formatted charts. Thank you!

    Of course these charts are still useful because they're clear and they are based on a principle that will never be obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Oskar. I am glad you find the charts useful. I use them every day.

      Delete
  10. I wonder what genes influence a person's preference for fan vs vertical chart ;-]? I have been using Blaine's but I give yours a try also. Thanks to both you and Blaine and Sue Griffith. The X helps to narrow the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Maybe we'll have to compare DNA of the fan chart users to the vertical chart users to find the DNA segment that controls this.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness this is so funny... I believe you guys are on to something because when I first started out I hated the fan charts but I worked with them for a bit and it was so bad but they still aren't my preference... I noticed that mmbooklover has posted here and is one of my DNA matches and also a vertical fan... I've never met her and I don't think we have talked yet so that goes to show that we do share a characteristic with our DNA!
    Hydee Süpple

    ReplyDelete